FRRO Registration Process
Procedure for Obtaining FRRO Registration
Foreign nationals arriving in India with the intentions of staying over 180 days must obtain FRRO registration within 14 days of arrival in India. Further, foreign nationals planning to stay in India for more than 180 days can at any point well before the expiry of the 180 days, apply for FRRO registration from a FRO.
Steps for FRRO Registration
- Complete online FRRO registration form and schedule FRRO interview (Online FRRO registration website)
- Unique Registration number is generated by the system.
- Schedule FRRO appointment.
- Attend and complete FRRO interview with all relevant supporting documents.
Usually, FRRO registration process is completed on the same day, but it may vary in some cases where field enquiry/other checks are required to be done by the registration officer. Failure or late FRRO registration attracts a penalty of USD30 which is changed from time to time. Hence, it is important for all foreign nationals staying in India for over 180 days to obtan a FRRO registration as early as possible.
Documents Required for FRRO Registration
The documents required for FRRO registration varies based on the type of Indian visa held by the FRRO registration applicant as follows:
- Original valid passport and Visa along with 4 passport size colour photographs
- Completed FRRO registration form
- Three photocopies of the relevant pages of passport (photo page, page indicating validity, page bearing arrival stamp of Indian Immigration.
- FRRO undertaking letter (3 copies signed by Indian Host/ sponsor/ Guarantor along with any one valid identity document like passport, election identity card, official identity card, PAN card, etc).
- Proof of Residence (3 copies of either electricity bill/Telephone bill/ Municipal bill/ certificate of municipal authority/Leave & Licence agreement or any other valid proof of residence). Submission of letter from the hotel or receipt of payment is sufficient in case of registration on Tourist visa.
- FRRO Registration fee- Rs. 100/-.
- In case of registration on Employment visa, three copies of the terms and conditions of the contract of assignment, including salary, designation, tenure of employment etc.
- In case of registration on Employment or Business Visa, three copies of PAN card or of application made for grant of PAN card.
- In case of registration on Employment or Business Visa, forwarding letter of concerned company/ Firm /Business undertaking, duly signed by the authorised signatory mentioning name, designation & telephone and mobile number.
- In case of registration on student visa three copies of Bonafide certificate from School, College or academic Institute for the academic year mentioning relevant particulars including validity of admission and nationality of the foreign student.
- In case of registration on medical visa, letter from concerned hospital (must be reputed and recognized hospital) where treatment is being taken along with supportive medical documentary/diagnostic test reports with medical certificate about tentative period of treatment.
- In case of registration on medical visa, if the applicant is admitted in the hospital, medical certificate bearing photo of the applicant attested and certified by the doctor.